September is regarded as the PCOS Awareness Month. Various awareness activities about Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) are undertaken during this month for the women of different age groups. Statistics shows that every 1 in 10 women is suffering from PCOS in India and in the world.
What is PCOS?
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is hormonal, metabolic and reproductive disorder in women. In PCOS, menstrual periods are delayed or prolonged. The ovaries fail to release the eggs and therefore small follicles or cysts are formed. Ovulation does not take place. This results in inflamed ovaries, infertility or even abortion.
This PCOS Awareness Month, let’s look at this disorder in detail.
Whenever PCOS symptoms are experienced, they should be identified and treated early. Some of the major PCOS problem symptoms are as follows,
- The hormonal imbalance prevents the ovaries from creating and releasing eggs. The ovulation process stops. This results in infertility.
- Irregular or missed periods due to lack of ovulation.
- Frequent mood swings, anger tantrums, panic and anxiety, emotional instability, fits of depression.
- Acne which occur due to hormonal changes, increased testosterone level and more sebum secretion.
- Chronic fatigue and trouble in losing weight
- Insulin resistance leading to high blood glucose levels
- Excessive Body Hair growth due to the rising level of testosterone.
- Ovarian Cysts, in PCOS eggs are not released and the follicles keep growing. The eggs are stuck in ovaries and form multiple functional cysts.
- Low Sex Drive because of lack of energy and well-being, obesity, depression, anxiety, mood swings etc.
- Male Pattern Baldness and Thinning Hair
How Polycystic Ovary Syndrome affects women
PCOS affects the mental and physical health of women. Because of one faulty process, other body mechanisms start being affected. Irritation and anxiety increase. The woman avoids going out and mixing with people. Loss of motherhood is another reason for frustration. One of the top agenda of PCOS Awareness Month is to make women aware about the effects of PCOS in their lives.
- Obesity leads to digestive problems
- High blood pressure
- Bad cholesterol- increase in LDL
- Possibility of heart disease
- Imbalance of hormones
- Risk of Sleep Apnea and Endometrial Cancer
- Growth of unnecessary hair on body
- Loss of hair or baldness
- Extreme negative thoughts
Women have a tendency to neglect themselves. Their eating habits are unhealthy and eating timings are irregular. Because of this wrong lifestyle and stress their hormonal balance is disturbed. This leads to the symptoms of PCOS. You should know the reasons of PCOS so timely treatment can be done and the results are good. Some of the reasons of PCOS are
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Eating packed and junk food
- Lack of nutrients in the body
- Lack of exercise
- Continuous hoteling
- Obesity and weight gain
- Inflammatory tendency
- Faulty lifestyle
Treatment on PCOS
Ayurveda has some very result-oriented treatments for PCOS. These treatments purify, detoxify and nourish the body. They build the immune system, reduce the gases and improve the blood flow. Naturally the body begins to respond to other treatments on fertility.
Ayurveda is the science that goes to the roots of the problem and eliminates it. PCOS is a lifestyle disease and proper lifestyle modification gives amazing results. Medicines are given considering three body faults- Vata, Kapha and Pitta.
PCOS can be treated with proper hormonal balance, proper diet including green vegetables, fruits, vegetables, nuts, pulses and medicines by Ayurveda. Taking regular exercise is a must. All these efforts together treat the woman and make her fee of PCOS.
These treatments give long term results. Women should be fully aware of PCOS and give proper attention to it. PCOS Awareness Month has been an excellent initiative in this regard.
Know More About PCOS and Ayurveda
Watch Dr Vinesh Nagare’s exclusive interview. To get updates about all the new videos, subscribe to our YouTube channel by clicking on YouTube button below.
Looking for Treatment? Book Your Appointment Here