‘Dhruvam Chaturnam Sannidhyatgarbhah Syadvidhipurvakam !
Rutukshetrambubijanam Samagryat Ankuro Yatha !’
- Rutu – It is the most fertile period governed by kapha. In terms of modern science, it is a well-developed proliferative phase accompanied with ovulation.
- Kshetra – manusmruti describes the female as a field and male as a seed. The healthy undiseased condition of female genital tract is the second chief factor of conception.
- Ambu – It is the liquid product produced for the diet & present in the form of rasa. In other words, it represents nutritional elements responsible for the growth of foetus.
- Beeja – beeja includes stree beeja and pumsa-beeja that is ovum and sperm. The term “shuddha-shukra-shonita” stresses on healthiness of both rather than on their mere presence.
Definition of vandhya ( infertile women )
“A women who has lost her power of healthy menstruation or ovulation resulting onto the loss of fertility.”
Types of vandhya ( Infertility )
- Balya – delayed puberty
- Kakavandhya – one child sterility
- Anapatya – primary sterility where the lady never conceives.
- Garbhasravi – a case of repeated abortions.
- Mrutavatsa – a case with still births.
- Balakshaya – the power of fertility is lost due to dhatukshaya.
As crops do not grow if the seed is disordered, conception does not occur due to disorders of mother and father.
- Disorders of factors of conception
- Disorders of rutukala – proliferarive phase
- Disorders of khsetra – Disorders of female genital tract and uterus.
- Disorders of ambu
- Disorders of beeja – ovum incapable of fertilization.
- Disorders of physiology of conception
- Disorders of maithuna ( intercourse )
- Maithunasahatva ( dyspareunia )
- Maithuna anichha ( psychological disorder causing frigidity )
- Asamyak maithuna ( improper intercourse )
- Shodhana Chikitsa
It is two fold
- sarvadehika (for whole body)
- sthanik (local)
Sarvadehik shodhana helps to regulate the physiology of body. Sthanika shodhana means medical or surgical curettage. Ayurvedic texts stress on medical curettage which helps to establish ‘ avyapanna yoni – garbhashaya’ that is healthy condition of genital tract. From modern point of view, this method may be indicated under following conditions.
- Disorders in nidation.
- Uterine hostility.
- Anovulatory cycles.
2) Medicated ghee & oils
These preparations are used as a Balya. Since balya refers to a gain in the physiological strength. These could be indicated under following conditions
- Atony of uterus
- Underdeveloped uterus
3) Use of pittashamak drugs
The preparations are used to proper rutukala. In terms of modern science/ these preparations can be indicated in following conditions –
- To regulate ovulation.
- To increase the receptivity of uterus, cervix & vagina.
This method helps to remove local disorders. It can be used to serve following purposes.
- To increase the receptivity of genital tract to the entry of sperm.
- To remove obstruction in passage.
- To facilitate proper coitus.