Ayurvdedic treatment for PCOS can be very effective but before getting to that let us just get a glimpse of what Ayurveda says about PCOS.
Ayurvedic perspective of PCOS:
In Ayurveda, the balance state of doshas is mainly responsible for health and any derangement to this will lead to disease.
This dosha-vaishamya is directly connected to symptoms and the relation between doshas and lakshanas are permanent.
By the outlook of the symptoms of PCOS as per modern description, it becomes clear that even though they are not compiled as a syndrome in Ayurveda most of them have been described as features of separate diseases or conditions.
The symptoms commonly found in these conditions can be summarized as below-
- Menstrual irregularities have been described under artava vyapadsor Yonirogas(uterine disorders).
- Anovulation is included under Vandhya(infertility).
- Obesity is the condition described as Sthoulya, a santanpanajanya vikara.
- Acne and Baldness have been described as Mukhadooshika and Khalitya, two independent pathogenesis.
- Hyperinsulinemia leads to type 2 Diabetes mellitus, and is described under prameha. It is also manifested as a complication of sthoulya.
- Since menstrual irregularities including anovulation and obesity are the commonly seen symptoms these two has to be taken care with due attention.
In Ayurveda this condition is not explained as a single disease entity; but it can be considered under the heading of Yoni Vyapat(utero vaginal disorders). Also, Pushpaghni Rewati ,mentioned by Acharya Kashyapa bears some similarity with the symptoms of PCOS.
Long term consequences in a patient suffering from PCOS –
Excess androgens (predominantly androstenedione) leads to thickening (hyperplasia) of the inner layer of the uterus (endometrium).
Risk of developing diabetes mellitus due to insulin resistance.
Risk of hypertension and abnormally high lipid profile.
Ayurvedic Treatment –
treatment of PCOD needs individualistic approach because, not all the symptoms might be seen in all the patients.
It depends on the presenting symptoms, like menstrual abnormalities, infertility, obesity, hirsutism or combined symptoms.
Ayurvedic treatment is by applying a multi-pronged approach towards –
– correcting the hormonal imbalance,
– treatment to obesity and avoiding high cholesterol levels,
– treatment to insulin resistance.
- Correcting hormonal imbalance:
there are many herbs useful in correcting the hormonal imbalance. Ashoka (saraca asoca), Dashamoola (a group of ten herbal roots) a group of herbs useful in preparation of Sukumara Kashaya like Ashwagandha, Eranda, Shatavari etc. are useful in correcting the hormonal imbalance.
- Treatment to obesity:
Treatment to obesity and specifically against cholesterol can be achieved by using Ayurvedic herbal remedy plus diet and lifestyle changes.
- Treatment insulin resistance:
Treatment for insulin resistance involves a time-consuming approach with effective Ayurvedic treatment and diet and lifestyle changes including exercise.
Ayurvedic Treatment for PCOS in Pune:
Here at SMV Ayurveda Research Center which is based in Pune our aim is to provide best treatment to resolve polycystic ovaries conditions with help of specialized Ayurvedic Infertility treatments of Ayurveda. Here Basic research for the treatment of polycystic ovarian disease (PCOS) is carried out since last 12 years by vaidya Vinesh Nagare who is Gynaecologist.
Essentially PCOS should be taken care in its beginning itself. But most of the time it is diagnosed only in later period or else it is neglected that it is a minor health complaint or simple menstrual irregularity. Early detection and immediate attention will help to curb the disease as well as to avoid the complications like infertility.